This course is aimed at learning how to rescue a paddling friend and self-rescue yourself as well as towing techniques.
BEGINNERS KAYAK COURSE - YELLOW
LEARN TO PADDLE IN THE CITY!
- Adult From 15 years old
This course is our most popular and is aimed at beginners who want to learn more about the basics of kayaking to open up possibilities of paddling in calm waters; on a lake or the inner archipelago. We alternate exercises with instructions and practice at a leisurely pace together with an experienced kayak instructor, in a small group where positive encouragement and fun are always in focus.
Your instructor will go through several basic paddling techniques and safety information before you try some simple paddling exercises, which aim to give you confidence in yourself and your kayak. During the course we paddle approx. 10-12 kilometers. This gives us time to show and teach the course requirements in a pedagogically good way, with a lot of joy, laughter and try for yourself.
Our kayak dock is located right in the heart of the city, on Kungsholmen, just a couple of hundred meters from T Centralen, in the Karlberg Canal just below Barnhus Bridge. Here we can teach you kayaking in an excellent accessible and central location! Our kayak equipment is new and in top condition and our kayak instructors are qualified and experienced.
Even though you do not need any previous experience to take this course with us, you should be able to swim to participate.
After completing this course, you will have your EPP yellow level, the second of five available levels. Read more about the Paddle Pass here. With approved results, you can buy a YELLOW EPP paddle pass for 150 SEK.
Once you have completed the course, you will have the knowledge to make day trips in lakes and protected waters in the inner archipelago.
- Lift, carry and load the kayak
- Kayaking forward, 50 m
- Swipe, 360 degrees on the spot
- Paddle backwards, 25 m
- Paddle an eight
- Paddle to the bridge and get out
Progression – to try
- Sideway movement
- Avoid tipping over – support (low)
Personal protective equipment must be adapted to prevailing weather, kayak and location. The kayaker must also show water habits in / under the water. Furthermore, the kayaker should try to roll over, collect his things, swim ashore and empty the kayak.
Environment and Behavior
The kayaker must show understanding and appreciation for current environmental legislation. Furthermore, the kayaker must relate to the following:
- Know its capacity and stay within its framework.
- Know the risks associated with current waters.
- Ensure adapted and relevant equipment.
- Always respect nature.
- Follow the Right of Public Access, environmental legislation and possibly local rules and regulations.
- Respect access agreements; Avoid conflict with landowners and other stakeholders in the area.
- When training and competing, follow the principles of Fair Play.
At level 1 yellow, the examination / assessment can take place in connection with a course / education.
- We provide Prijon kayaks, TNP Wolferine paddles, Hiko life jacket & spray decks, plus a map of the area.
- Our accident insurance applies to all participants during the course.
- Minimum height: 1.50 m / maximum height: 1.95m. Maximum weight: 130 kg.
- Minimum age: 15 years. All youth must be accompanied by an adult.
- Small groups; minimum 2 participants / maximum 8 participants.
- Language: Swedish. Let us know if this is problematic as all our instructors speak English and if we know in advance, we can prepare for translating instructions.
- Our instructors are trained in the EPP European Paddle Pass.
- Our dock is the most centrally located in the city. It is located near Barnhusbron on Kungsholmen and approx. 900 meters from T Centralen, the closest street address is Pipersgatan 45.
- There are no toilets at our kayak dock, the meeting point for your tour, but you are welcome to come to our main location (Kungsbro Strand 21) during our office hours to use the toilet.
- FRISKVÅRD – This activity can be booked with a Wellness Card as the activity is approved by the Swedish Tax Agency as tax-free exercise and wellness.
- Once the course is completed and you are approved, you can buy the paddle pass EPP YELLOW step 1 for 150 SEK.
- Buy the Big Book on kayaking, recommended by the Swedish Canoeing Association for training in the Swedish version of the EPP European Paddle Pass. Price 350 SEK.
- Bring your own swimwear or change of clothes for safety exercises (see syllabus) we also rent dry suits if you want the price 450 SEK / pp.
- This course will take place in all weathers unless the instructor believes it to be unsafe. Please dress appropriately.
- Life Vest sizes:
- Extra Small (15-30kg)
- Small (30-40kg)
- Small/Medium (35-75kg)
- Large/X Large (50-90kg)
- XX Large (+95kg)
- If we do not meet the minimum number required for the course, we will offer you an alternative date, or a full refund.