This course is aimed at the complete beginner and allows you to try paddling in calm water at a calm pace together with an experienced kayak instructor, who teaches basic paddling
- Adult From 18 years old
EXAMINATION KUNGSHOLMEN GREEN
GREEN EPP Examination in sea kayaking can be taken for your own personal kayak development or it may be a requirement to rent a kayak or join a kayak club. The green paddle pass is the third level in EPP to be developed as a paddler. Regardless of your motivation, we offer an excellent location and all the equipment that will help you.
Our kayak dock is located right in the heart of the city, on Kungsholmen, just a couple of hundred meters from T Centralen, in the Karlberg Canal just below Barnhus Bridge. Here we can teach you kayaking in an excellent accessible and central location! Our kayak equipment is new and in top condition and our kayak instructors are qualified and experienced.
If you are unsure of your knowledge, we recommend booking one of our GREEN courses before the examination, click here for more information.
More information about the different levels in EPP can be found here.
The purpose of this examination is to build trust and encourage further learning and development and joy in kayaking.
Completion of the Examination
We set out on a short trip of about 5-6km from our dock where the examiner asks you to complete particular exercises. Once you have completed the paddle the examiner will give you feedback on your technique and hints and tips of things to work on.
- Lift, carry and load the kayak
- Efficient paddling forward
- Paddle backwards
- Move the kayak sideways
- Low support
- Rear rudder
- Steer with rudder depending on the kayak
- Swing with low support
- Turn and turn
- Edging and slope
- Paddle to the dock and get out of the kayak
- Put the kayak safely on land
Progression – to try
- High support
- Side movement during speed
In addition to a touch of the first and yellow level, in terms of personal protective equipment and water habits, level 2 green includes different types of rescue.
- Self-rescue – The kayaker is encouraged to roll over, gather equipment and get into the kayak for further travel, alternatively swim to land, empty and then get in the kayak again.
- Comrade rescue – Furthermore, rescue in deep water is included, and there be both the person who saves and the person who is rescued with the help of friend rescue.
Environment and Behaviour
Regarding the environment and behaviour, the same principles apply as in the previous yellow level. The three basic messages are:
- Know your capacity and stay within these limits
- Respect nature
- Follow the principles of Fair Play during training and competition
For level 2 green, it is appropriate with at least three weeks of internship linked to the examination, either by participating in a course or paddling on your own.
- We provide Prijon kayaks, TNP Wolferine paddles, Hiko life jacket & spray decks, float & pump.
- Our accident insurance applies to all participants during the exam.
- Minimum height: 1.50 m / maximum height: 1.95m. Maximum weight: 130 kg.
- Minimum age: 18 years. All youth must be accompanied by an adult.
- Small groups; minimum 2 participants / maximum 8 participants.
- Language: Swedish. Let us know if this is problematic as all our instructors/examiners speak English and if we know in advance, we can prepare for translating instructions.
- Our examiners are trained in the EPP European Paddle Pass.
- Our dock is the most centrally located in the city. It is located near Barnhusbron on Kungsholmen and approx. 900 meters from T Centralen, the closest street address is Pipersgatan 45.
- FRISKVÅRD – This activity can be booked with a Wellness Card as the activity is approved by the Swedish Tax Agency as tax-free exercise and wellness.
- Once the course is completed and you are approved, you can buy the paddle pass EPP GREEN step 1 for 150 SEK.
- Buy the Big Book on kayaking, recommended by the Swedish Canoeing Association for training in the Swedish version of the EPP European Paddle Pass. Price 350 SEK.
- Bring your own swimwear or change of clothes for safety exercises (see syllabus)
- Wet or dry suits are recommended, you are able to rent dry suits from us at check out for 450 SEK / pp.
- This examination will take place in all weathers unless the instructor believes it to be unsafe. Please dress appropriately.
- Life Vest sizes:
- Extra Small (15-30kg)
- Small (30-40kg)
- Small/Medium (35-75kg)
- Large/X Large (50-90kg)
- XX Large (+95kg)
- If we do not meet the minimum number required for the course, we will offer you an alternative date, or a full refund.
- You are expected to keep a social distance throughout the exam.
- All equipment will be disinfected between activities.
- Your examiner will bring a hand sanitizer that you can use if desired.
- This is an outdoor activity that is suitable for small groups.
- Single kayaks are used for all courses and exams.
- All employees perform a daily health check to ensure that they are healthy and asymptomatic.
- If you or any of the other guests feel any symptoms, we will ensure that you have the opportunity to rebook or if necessary, cancel your activity.
- If you are still worried, a private course might be the best option for you? Contact us if you have further questions.