This course is aimed at beginners who want to learn more about the basics of kayaking and allows you to paddle in calm water in the lake or inner archipelago.
- Person Ages 18+
This course is a fun and educational course, which will lift you from a beginner to a safe kayaker. We alternate exercises with instructions and practice at a leisurely pace together with an experienced kayak instructor, in a small group where positive encouragement and fun are always in focus.
To get the most out of this course you and the other participants are expected to have previous experience kayaking, preferably you have completed an EPP YELLOW course with us or you can prove beforehand that you have the basic kayaking knowledge equal to the EPP YELLOW course. You should be able to swim to participate.
Your instructor will run through paddling techniques, safety instructions and lots of exercises designed to build your strength and confidence as a kayaker, while we laugh and enjoy life in a kayak.
We will stop at a suitable place for a break and a leg stretch (PLEASE NOTE! Bring your own lunch bag and/or snacks).
Our kayak dock is located right in the heart of the city, on Kungsholmen, just a couple of hundred meters from T Centralen, in the Karlberg Canal just below Barnhus Bridge. . Here we can teach you kayaking in an excellent accessible and central location! Our kayak equipment is new and in top condition and our kayak instructors are qualified and experienced.
Once you have completed the course, you will have the knowledge to do kayak trips in the archipelago with an overnight stay without too much exposing and long crossings.
1. Lift, carry and load the kayak
2. Efficient paddling forward
3. Paddle backwards
5. Move the kayak sideways
6. Low support
7. Rear rudder
8. Steer with rudder depending on the kayak
9. Swing with low support
10. Turn and turn
11. Edging and slope
12. Paddle to the dock and get out of the kayak
13. Put the kayak safely on land
Progression – to try
1. High support
3. Side movement during speed
In addition to a touch of the first and yellow level, in terms of personal protective equipment and water habits, level 2 green includes different types of rescue.
1. Self-rescue – The kayaker is encouraged to roll over, gather equipment and get into the kayak for further travel, alternatively swim to land, empty and then get in the kayak again.
2. Comrade rescue – Furthermore, rescue in deep water is included, and there be both the person who saves and the person who is rescued with the help of friend rescue.
Environment and Behaviour
Regarding the environment and behaviour, the same principles apply as in the previous yellow level. The three basic messages are:
- Know your capacity and stay within these limits
- Respect nature
- Follow the principles of Fair Play during training and competition
For level 2 green, it is appropriate with at least three weeks of internship linked to the examination, either by participating in a course or paddling on your own.
- We provide Prijon kayak, TNP Wolferine paddle, Hiko life vest, spray deck, area map, float and pump.
- Our accident insurance applies to all participants during the course.
- Minimum height: 1.50 m / maximum height: 1.95m. Maximum weight: 130 kg.
- Minimum age: 18 years.
- Small groups; minimum 2 participants / maximum 8 participants.
- Language: Swedish. Let us know if this is problematic as all our instructors speak English and if we know in advance, we can prepare for translating instructions.
- Our instructors are trained in the EPP European Paddle Pass.
- Our dock is the most centrally located in the city. It is located near Barnhusbron on Kungsholmen and approx. 900 meters from T Centralen, the closest street address is Pipersgatan 45.
- FRISKVÅRD – This activity can be booked with a Wellness Card as the activity is approved by the Swedish Tax Agency as tax-free exercise and wellness.
- Buy the Big Book on kayaking, recommended by the Swedish Canoeing Association for training in the Swedish version of the EPP European Paddle Pass. Price 350 SEK.
- Bring your own food / drink which we will consume during the course.
- Bring your own swimwear or change of clothes for safety exercises (see syllabus)
- Wet or dry suits are recommended, you are able to rent dry suits from us at check out for 450 SEK / pp.
- This course will take place in all weathers unless the instructor believes it to be unsafe. Please dress appropriately.
- Life Vest sizes:
- Extra Small (15-30kg)
- Small (30-40kg)
- Small/Medium (35-75kg)
- Large/X Large (50-90kg)
- XX Large (+95kg)
- If we do not meet the minimum number required for the course, we will offer you an alternative date, or a full refund.
- You are expected to keep a social distance throughout the exam.
- All equipment will be disinfected between activities.
- Your examiner will bring a hand sanitizer that you can use if desired.
- This is an outdoor activity that is suitable for small groups.
- Single kayaks are used for all courses and exams.
- All employees perform a daily health check to ensure that they are healthy and asymptomatic.
- If you or any of the other guests feel any symptoms, we will ensure that you have the opportunity to rebook or if necessary, cancel your activity.
- If you are still worried, a private course might be the best option for you? Contact us if you have further questions.