Join us for a really winter trip in Sweden; play on natural ice. It’s such an exciting feeling gliding through nature over the ice, and a truly unique and unforgettable sight!
A DAY ON THE ICE – GUIDED TOUR
- Open Tour
- Adult From 18 years old
- Private Tour
- Up to 2 people All ages
Guided Ice Skating on Natural Ice!
For those of you with previous experience of ice skating either on natural ice, ovals, rinks, inline skating or cross country skiing skating-style, this is the perfect winter day tour for you! If you’re not experienced or need a refresher, take a look at our Introduction to Ice Skating Tour.
It’s such a thrilling sensation gliding over the ice, and the natural ice here in and around Stockholm is some of the best in the world! This day tour is a truly unique and unforgettable experience!
Your experienced guide briefs you on the tour and safety equipment before taking you to the day’s best ice in Stockholm’s outstandingly beautiful natural surroundings. This tour takes a higher tempo and focuses on ice skating a good distance. Depending on the weather and ice conditions, your group could cover up to 70 km during the day.
Your guide is happy to offer tips and coaching in order to perfect the ice skating skills you already possess so that you evolve as a Nordic skater and get a sense of achievement throughout the day.
The tour is 8 – 9 hours long, with approx. 6 – 7 hours of skating on natural ice either in the Stockholm archipelago or on one of Stockholm’s big lakes. During the tour, you make a stop somewhere sheltered and scenic for a well-earned picnic lunch. There is an open fire, our classic outdoor lunch with grilled hotdogs and hot drinks on offer. Hopefully, there’s some good banter and laughter with your new skating buddies too! Once lunch is finished, there is more time to enjoy the ice with renewed energy before driving back to the city.
If one-day ice skating doesn’t sound long enough for you, take a look at our three-day Swedish Skating Adventure!
We offer open/scheduled departures and private departures.
- Further your ice skating techniques.
- Experience the thrill of ice skating on natural ice.
- Ice skate either on a small lake, Lake Mälaren (the fifth-largest lake in Europe) or the Baltic Sea in Stockholm’s Archipelago.
- Spend the day surrounded by breathtaking scenery.
- Knowledgeable and experienced English-speaking guides.
- Top-quality equipment.
- Small groups; minimum 2 participants / max. 10 participants per guide.
- Delicious classic outdoor lunch around an open fire.
- Pick-up and drop-off from the city included.
- Free of charge photo-memories of your tour made by your guide.
- We meet at 08:00 at our Adventure Café in the city centre.
- This tour is designed for people with some experience ice skating. If you are a beginner or need a refresher, take a look at our Introduction to Ice Skating Tour.
- We plan every ice skating tour carefully with our expert local knowledge and the most up-to-date ice reports to ensure we skate on the best natural ice for the day. This means that, depending on the weather conditions, the location of our adventure and the skating conditions may vary. We could go to a small lake, to Lake Mälaren (the fifth-largest lake in Europe) or to the Baltic Sea in Stockholm’s archipelago — we won’t know until that day. One thing we do know for sure is it’ll be a great experience!
- The safety equipment you skate with weighs approximately 8 kg.
- Guided language: English.
- Included meal: classic outdoor lunch and open fire with sausages.
- Minimum age (open tour only): 18 years old.
- No minimum age on private tours.
- Maximum weight: 130 kg.
- The transport to the starting point will either be by private minivan or by public transport depending on the size of the group and the ice/weather conditions.
- When you book, you will receive a list of suggestions on how to dress for the day.
- If we do not meet the minimum number required for the tour, we will offer you an alternative date or tour, or a full refund.
- You will be expected (and reminded by your guide) to remain vigilant with your social distance throughout the tour.
- All equipment will be disinfected/steam cleaned after use, ensuring it is clean for the next tour.
- Your guide will have hand sanitiser with them for you to use upon request.
- With the exception of the transportation, this is a small group outdoor activity.
- You are encouraged to wear a face mask whilst being transported from our Adventure Cafe to the ice and back again.
- The food served on this tour is freshly prepared by one person under strict hygiene conditions, packed into your personal backpack prior to departure and will be eaten outdoors. No other persons will be in contact with your food.
- All employees receive daily wellness checks to ensure they are healthy and symptom free. If you or any other guests are experiencing symptoms, we will ensure you are able to reschedule or cancel your activity.
- If you still have concerns, perhaps a private tour is the best option for you? Contact us if you have further questions.
It’s always the ice, the weather conditions and the participants in the group that set the pace. The time estimates depend on what tour option you have chosen:
An Introduction to Ice Skating Tour: 5 – 30 km
A Day on the Ice Guided Tour: 20 – 70 km
Skate with Friends – Private Ice Skating Tour: you set the pace
Swedish Skating Adventures: 30 – 70 km (we split into smaller groups to fulfill different riding requirements)
We offer ice skating on natural ice and skate in the archipelago as much as possible, but as the weather is always changing, we prefer to take our groups to the best ice in the area. This means that we sometimes need to prioritize skating on lakes in the area.
Our number one priority is to make sure our tours are as safe as possible by choosing the safest and best ice for the day. To ensure this, we provide our customers with very experienced guides and all necessary safety equipment. We will make sure that all gear is put on properly and that you understand how to use it before heading out on your tour.
Yes, you can, as long as you are able to take the actual skate blade off and walk with your boots. If in doubt, please contact us. There is no price difference if you bring your own skates. You are not allowed to use hockey or figure skates on our open tours (you can, of course, book with us for a private guided tour and use your hockey or figure skates). Below you can see the boots with rubber sole and skates with Rottefella bindings from Lundhags that we use for our tours and rentals.
No. To ensure our customers’ safety, we always use our own equipment. Everything is packed and ready for you when you arrive to start your tour. You can choose to use your own Nordic/tour/trip skates as long as you are able to take the actual skate off and walk with your boots. If in doubt, please contact us. There is no price difference if you bring your own skates.
No, we will not. We are an outdoor company offering outdoor tours. We know that the weather does change, and we plan accordingly. But our number one priority at all times is safety, and if our guide thinks it’s unsafe, then we will not skate, but we will offer an alternative outdoor activity.
We receive this question even from people living in Stockholm. We are out skating nearly every day and feel very confident that we can find ice to skate on thanks to our local knowledge and an extensive network of sources we trust. Follow and “like” our Facebook page and you will see photos and videos of our latest tours.
Only personal clothing for being outside in the winter. We supply the rest. (As you make the booking, you will receive a list of suggestions on how to dress for a winter activity.)
If you miss or forgot to bring something — a glove, shell pants, etc. — please contacts us beforehand and we might be able to help you with that item.